Are you looking to get more out of life? Do you want to start traveling a bit more? Are you ready to add some stamps to your passport? Black & Abroad is a movement you definitely want to hop on. According to their website:
“Black & Abroad is a cultural collective dedicated to redefining world experiences for the modern black traveler. Seeing a need to elevate the community through world exploration, Black & Abroad was founded to fulfill that very purpose. We serve as a resource for travel related media to inspire the explorer within. Our collective of influencers have come together to share their travel experiences to assist us in showing familiar faces in unfamiliar places.”
Our manifesto is guided by three principles that represent the heart of our mission:
EXPLORE | EMBRACE | EMPOWER
Please check out my interview with them below !
1. How did the “Black & Abroad” concept come about, and who are the masterminds behind it?
Eric Martin & Kent Johnson founded Black & Abroad in April of 2015. Both avid travelers, we wanted to create a brand that would highlight and celebrate trek of the modern black traveler. After deciding on a logo, we figured that a t-shirt would be the best way to make a statement. Fast forward the tape 10 months, and here we are with participation in over 50 countries, and all 7 continents!
2.Where were the Founders of Black & Abroad born and raised?
Eric Martin was born and raised in the suburbs of Washington, DC.
Kent Johnson was born and raised in Baltimore, MD, but also lived in San Diego, CA & Berlin, Germany as a child.
3. Did the upbringing of the Founders have an early influence on them wanting to travel the world and see more that what was in their community?
Eric: Absolutely! As a kid, it was always a tradition for my family to travel on Spring & Summer breaks usually to a family friendly, resort-styled setting. I would always wonder how real life was for the people beyond the gates of the resort. No doubt that that curiosity had something to do with my hunger for travel.
Kent: My father was in the military and his service afforded me the chance to leave the country and travel to new places at an early age. From that point on, I wanted to see more and more of the world.
4. Please describe the process for someone who would like to be a Contributor for Black & Abroad. And how also can people be featured on the website or Instagram page?
We always welcome a fresh perspective of the world through different lenses. To contribute, you can visit our website at www.weareblackandabroad.com/contribute
To be featured on our social media pages, take a creative picture abroad in your Black & Abroad gear.
5. Are there any group trips planned by Black & Abroad that people can be join to meet & network with other like minded individuals?
We’re currently planning a few events for 2017. Check our site for updates!
6. Do you have any advice or tips to readers who would love to travel abroad but don’t want to break the bank?
Search for deals without a destination in mind. For example, Guatemala wasn’t on our list of places to visit this year, but we found a round-trip ticket to Guatemala City for $123 and couldn’t pass it up. It ended up being a fantastic trip! If you travel by the motto “Book the deal, not the destination,” you’ll wind up seeing places you never considered! You’d be surprised at how many people end up paying more to go to Miami, FL than someone who found a great deal to Sydney, Australia!
7. What are 3 words that you would use to describe the brand? And Why?
Explore, Embrace, Empower. These are the pillars that govern our mission. Explore the world, Embrace the different cultures, and Empower the community through travel.
8.Where do you see the Black & Abroad brand in 5-10 years?
We see our current efforts making a huge impact on the world of travel, with a strong presence in each major city of the world!
9. Are there any major projects that Black & Abroad is currently working on, that you would like people to be aware of ?
We like the keep an element of surprise for the people! We’re current working on a few partnerships with other dope brands, as well as creating new products geared to the needs of our following.
10. Is there anything that you would like readers to know about Black & Abroad, that you have not said already?
Yes! We are extremely thankful for all of the love and support! Who knew that we would have garnered this much of a platform in less than a year! With that being said, we’re not just a clothing line we are much more than that. We provide destination guides for travelers looking to venture off the beaten path. We do service projects to serve the needs of the countries we visit. We also provide great travel tips, hacks and thought provoking commentary on our website at www.weareblackandabroad.com
11. How can people get in contact with you via email or social media outlets?